Refrigeration systems consume large amounts of electricity and thereby contribute greatly to the running costs of businesses with considerable cooling requirements. In industry, refrigeration can be responsible for up to 85% of total energy consumption, depending on the industry sector. Improvements to technical elements of modern refrigeration systems have the potential to reduce energy consumption by 15%–40%.
This will become more important as a price is placed on greenhouse gas emissions in future years and as energy prices rise. Its importance also relates to an increased focus on reducing fugitive emissions from industrial systems such as refrigerant gas.
Energy efficiency can deliver a range of savings, such as:
- Reduced energy costs
- Reduced operation and maintenance costs
- Improved system reliability
- Improved safety
- Increased productivity
- Better matching of refrigeration load and equipment capacity
- Better working environment
- Reduced resource consumption and greenhouse gas emissions.